The hospital/physician registration is now OPEN. Scroll down for the registration link.
Many orthopaedic surgeons and hospitals routinely give back to the community through their charitable work and outreach efforts. These local programs impact the lives of patients in a powerful and meaningful way.
So, why participate in a national program, like Operation Walk USA?
Until recently, recognizing the countless charitable acts—in particular, the free surgeries—performed by orthopaedic surgeons annually was a hit-or-miss affair. Television or newspaper reporters will occasionally build a story on one special case in the community. But all too often, this kind of “good news” was overshadowed by reports of increasing healthcare costs, waste in the healthcare system, or medical errors.
Our strength is in numbers. Several hundred physicians conducting pro bono surgeries simultaneously across the United States create a national story that is both inspiring and compelling.
In summary, Operation Walk USA:
- Underscores the value of orthopaedics in improving the lives of patients.
- Highlights the compassionate, caring nature of the subspecialty—and of the participating orthopaedists.
- Promotes the hospitals’ mission of healing.
- And most importantly, it gives hope for a better, more productive, pain-free life to hundreds of underserved patients.
Participating in Operation Walk USA is an uplifting experience for everyone involved.
2022 Participant Spotlight:
The Pioneer Foundation
On December 10, 2022, the Pioneer Foundation, in partnership with Operation Walk USA, Advent Health Carrollwood and other community partners helped eight uninsured patients to get hip and knee joint replacements at no cost!
Great thanks to Drs. Brian Palumbo and Steven Lyons, their surgical teams, to nurses, hospital staff, and Zimmer Biomet for forever changing the patients’ lives.
“I had pain when I was walking. I tried all kinds of treatments and none worked. The pain was getting worse. And then I found the Pioneer Foundation and Operation Walk USA! The surgery went well, and now I can get back to work – I was out of work for almost three months. I am so happy and grateful!”
“Several years ago I started to have pain at work, when doing repetitive motions. I am a hairdresser, so my job involves long hours standing. I do not have medical insurance so had to figure out what to do because it was progressively difficult to do my job. It is my second Operation Walk USA surgery, now I have both hips replaced and can enjoy my job and life!”
“I was working in the kitchen in a country club and my leg began to hurt and get swollen from the bottom to the top. So my doc said it is arthritis, and my knee is deformed. It was going on for 12 years! Now I am excited to have the knee replaced. I can now walk with my grandson and take him wherever he wants!”
How To Participate
- Review, understand, and share our 2023 General Participation Guidelines.
- Discuss your hospital’s participation with all relevant stakeholders. Understand the commitment that is expected from each participating hospital.
- Register through our online registration system.
- Follow the Guidelines and meet the important deadlines specified therein.
- Communicate with Operation Walk USA staff regarding your process.
Download and use these slides to help explain the program to stakeholders at your hospital and in your professional community.
COMING SOON! You may download and review the questions that are being asked when prospective patients apply for the program. This will help you understand the type of information we collect at this initial point of contact.
The above registration link should be completed by a designated representative of a Hospital (Site) interested in participation.
These comprehensive Guidelines explain the program in greater detail, specify the required commitment, and establish a timeline for participation.
Thank You to the 2022-2023 Participating Sites!
- Kaiser Permanente Orange County Medical Center, Irvine, CA 92618
- Parker Adventist Hospital, Parker, CO 80138. Madison Schiefer, email@example.com
- Piedmont Henry Hospital, Stockbridge, GA
- OrthoAtlanta Surgery Center, Fayetteville, GA, 30214. Stefanie McCullers, firstname.lastname@example.org, 678-216-0771
- Orthopaedic South Surgical Center, McDonough, GA 30253. Andrea Marsh, Administrator, email@example.com, 678-422-4230
- Resurgens Surgery Center, Atlanta, GA 30342. Anne Liney, Outpatient Surgery Center Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 404-531-8532
- Advanced Center for Joint Surgery, Cumming, GA 30041. Emily Arce, ACJS, Clinical Administrator, email@example.com, 470-839-9200
- Roswell Surgery Center, Roswell, GA 30076. Susan West, BSN, RN, Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 770-772-5520
- Optim Health System Surgery Center, Savannah, GA 31405. Melanie Fitzgibbon, Ambulatory Surgical Center Administrator, email@example.com, 912-644-5343
- Advent Hospital Carollwood, Tampa, FL 33614. Ano Kashumba, Project Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 813-775-5639
- Advent Health La Grange Hospital, La Grange, IL 60525
- Bozeman Health Deaconess Hospital, Bozeman, MT 59047. Kiera Pattison, Nursing System Director, email@example.com, 406-223-2687
- CHI St Alexius Health, Bismarck, ND. Mark Johnson, Total Joint coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 701-530-3364
- CHI Good Samaritan, Kearney, NE, 68847. Sharri Miner, Clinic Manager, email@example.com, 308-865-2600
- AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center, Pomona, NJ 08240. Heather Schultz, Program Manager, Perioperative Services, Heather.Schultz@atlanticare.org, 609-748-7545
- Northwell Health, Valley Stream, NY 11580. Asha Gallagher, Administrative Director, AGallagher5@northwell.edu, 350-000-0000
- Meritus Medical Center, Hagerstown, MD 21742
- Penn Medicine Princeton Medical Center, Plainsboro, NJ 08536. Elizabeth Shokoff, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mount Carmel New Albany Surgical Hospital, New Albany, OH 43054
- Ascension Saint Thomas Hospital, Nashville, TN 37203
- INOV8 Surgical, Houston, TX 77043. Taylor Bailey, CEO, email@example.com, 512-635-8439
- South Texas Spine and Surgical Hospital, San Antonio, TX
- Tidewater Physicians Multispecialty Group, Newport News, VA 23606. Deborah Allred, Clinical Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center, Williamsburg, VA 23188
- Operation Walk Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, 84102. Linsey Tanner, Clinic Coordinator, email@example.com, 801-355-6468
- WVUH, Morgantown, WV, 26501. Cynthia Drummond, Orthopaedic Nurse Clinician, firstname.lastname@example.org, 304-598-6720